Furlough Workers  

The Government have now provided the below information, regarding the reimbursement of your wages:

 How to access the scheme

 You will need to:

  • designate affected employees as ‘furloughed workers,’ and notify your employees of this change - changing the status of employees remains subject to existing employment law and, depending on the employment contract, may be subject to negotiation
  • submit information to HMRC about the employees that have been furloughed and their earnings through a new online portal (HMRC will set out further details on the information required)

HMRC will reimburse 80% of furloughed workers wage costs, up to a cap of £2,500 per month. HMRC are working urgently to set up a system for reimbursement. Existing systems are not set up to facilitate payments to employers.

If your business needs short term cash flow support, you may be eligible for a Coronavirus Business Interruption Loan.

They are updating their information on gov.uk regularly.

The Government are also still currently advising that if you close as an Employer under Health & Safety and your employee is not able to work and is, therefore isolating at home, SSP can be paid from day one for any eligible employees and is currently re-claimable up to 14 days. The Government is updating this advice on a daily basis.